- Before installing this update, be sure the computer is running from AC power. If the installation of the BIOS is interrupted by power loss, the computer may not operate correctly or at all!
- Before installing this update, you will need to prepare a 3½ bootable floppy disk to receive the installation files. For additional assistance, please see Creating a Bootable Floppy Disk for the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating Systems.
- Before installing this or any other Windows XP update, please be sure to read Sony's Installing the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating Systems document. If the new operating system is not installed or configured correctly, some updates may not install correctly.
- During the installation of this update, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
- To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
- It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.
After the computer restarts, the installation of the BIOS update is complete.
- Download the BI02P1XP.EXE file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the BI02P1XP.EXE file to begin the installation.
- At the "BIOS WXP02P1 For Windows XP" box, click Next. Several setup boxes will briefly appear as the files are extracted and the notebook model is identified. As these processes complete, the boxes will close automatically. The BIOS WXP02P1 Installation Utility Setup will launch.
- At the "Creating the CRISIS diskette on drive A:" screen, press ENTER.
- At the "The CRISIS diskette in drive A: is being formatted" screen, insert the 3½ formatted floppy disk into the floppy drive and press ENTER. Please wait as the floppy is formatted.
- At the "Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)" prompt, type in a name (such as BIOSUPD) and press ENTER.
- At the "QuickFormat another (Y/N)?" prompt, press the N key and press ENTER.
- Press ENTER a second time to continue. Please wait as the BIOS installation files are copied to the floppy disk.
- At the "Press any key to continue..." prompt, press ENTER. Please wait as the BIOS installation disk is made bootable.
- At the "Press any key to continue..." prompt, press ENTER.
- At the "CRISIS diskette on drive A: successfully created" screen, leave the floppy disk in the drive and press ENTER.
- Click the X in the top-right corner to close the "Finished - CRISDISK" box.
- At the "InstallShield Wizard Complete" screen, click Finish. Be sure to leave the bootable floppy disk with the BIOS files in the floppy drive. As the computer restarts, it will boot from the floppy disk instead of the hard drive. The PhoenixPhlash Utility will launch.
- At the "Phoenix Phlash Utility" box, press the Y key to begin the update process. Please wait as the installation of the BIOS will take one to two minutes to complete. Once the installation is complete, the computer will automatically turn off.
- Eject the bootable BIOS installation disk from the drive.
- Turn on the computer.