What is the Windows Vista™ Operating System Clean Install Process?
This document provides the steps and information necessary to perform a Clean Install process to install Microsoft Windows Vista operating system on applicable VAIO® computer models. The process varies by computer model and may take 1 - 2 hours to complete.
IMPORTANT - BEFORE proceeding with the Clean Install process:
- The Clean install option is only available when installing with a retail version of the Windows Vista operating system. The Sony supplied Windows™ Vista Express Upgrade DVD Kit does not provide this option.
- Please print and carefully read this document
- Review the hardware and software compatibility information provided by Microsoft
- If you are unsure whether Windows Vista operating system or the Clean Install process applies for your model, please use the Sony Discovery Tool for Windows Vista. This tool will analyze your system operating system and hardware configuration and then tell you the recommended version of Windows Vista, provide you with the appropriate installation instructions and present you with all Vista compatible drivers, utilities and application updates that are currently available for your system.
- Please note that the Clean Install process removes all current content such as files, programs, etc. from your hard drive.
- The application, utility and driver updates recommended for Windows Vista operating system compatibility may not yet be available for your model. If you install Windows Vista using only the in-box (included as part of Windows Vista) drivers, basic functionality such as video, modem, Ethernet and wireless will be available but may function at a lower than expected level of performance.
Note: Under testing by Sony, the in-box Audio driver does not work with VAIO computers. An updated Audio driver is required for sound with Windows Vista operating system.
Sony is diligently working to provide the recommended Windows Vista operating system compatible updates as quickly as possible. We recommend that you check your model-specific support page periodically from January - March 2007 for new releases and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Table of Contents
For VAIO Shipped-Software:
Not all software provided under the Windows XP operating system is inherently compatible with Windows Vista operating system. While some features may still work after Windows Vista is installed, others may not until a compatibility update is installed.
To help address this, Sony is preparing updates for certain application to enable use with the Windows Vista operating system. These updates will be made available as part of the Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Express Upgrade DVD Kit being offered by Sony, and will also be later provided for download on your model-specific Sony eSupport web page.
- On the Support web site, these updates will be released gradually. It is recommended that you check your model-specific support page periodically for new releases.
- While Sony is dedicated to provide as much Support as possible, some models may not qualify for all updates due to hardware incompatibility with Windows Vista operating system.
- Release status for VAIO-shipped software updates as of January 30, 2007 (varies by computer model)
Follow the steps below to complete the Windows Vista Clean Install process.
WARNING!: Some parts of the Clean Install process take a long time to complete. Do not interrupt the Clean Install process once it has begun.
- If using a notebook, hook it up to AC power.
- Quit any programs that may be running on your computer.
- Disconnect any network connection.
- Before beginning the Windows Vista Clean Install process, make sure all steps listed in Prepare your Computer - Steps to Take Before Performing a Clean Install Process have been completed.
- Insert the Windows Vista DVD and restart your system to boot to it.
- At the prompt, press any key to continue.
- Click Next.
- Click "Install Now."
- Enter the Product key that is included in the Windows Vista DVD and select "Do not get the latest updates for installation."
- Click Next.
- Check the "I accept the license terms" checkbox, and then click "Next."
- Select Custom/Advance.
- At "Drive Options" screen, select Format and select OK.
- At "Drive Options" screen, click Next.
Windows Vista operating system will now be installed. This process may take 1 - 2 hours to complete depending on your system. Please do not interrupt this process.
Note: If not prompted, please restart the system after the message appears that the upgrade has completed.
- If applicable, reinstall your Windows Vista operating system compatible Anti-Virus or Internet Security software.
- Install all Windows Vista operating system applications, drivers and utility updates available for your model in the following order:
- Sony Shared Library 3.0.00.10180
- Sony Utility 7.0.00.11210
- Setting Utility Series 2.0.00.11230
- Toshiba Bluetooth
- Sony Ericsson driver
- Novatel driver
- Novatel Firmware update
- Touch pad
- Touch screen
- VAIO camera Filter
- VAIO camera utility
- TV tuner library
- MPEG encoder card
- Application monitor
- VAIO Event Service 3.0.00.11240
- Sony Video Shared Library 3.1.00.10240
- Special Button Utility 2.0.00.11220
- PX Engine
- SonicStage Mastering Studio 2.3.00.11090
- OpenMG Setup 4.6.01.10041
- VAIO Action Setup
- VAIO Entertainment Platform 1.4.00.11020
- VAIO Media 6.0 SP-013471-00
- VAIO Media Integrated Server 220.127.116.1140
- VAIO Media Redistribution SP-013497-00
- VAIO Media AC3 decoder 1.0.01.09210
- DVgate Plus 2.3.00.09300
- VAIO Update 3.0.00.11280
- Click to DVD 2.6.00.11281
- Click to DVD Basic Menu 2.0.03.13120
- Click to DVD Add-on Menu
- Changer application
- My DVD application
- InterVideo WinDVD
- InterVideo WinDVD BD
- Roxio Easy Media Creator v9.0
- The software provided for each model may vary
- Not all updates will be immediately available. Please check back periodically for new releases.
- Some application provided by Sony will be a full version, and therefore the size of the file may be large and take a very long time to download.
- During the file installation, the computer may need to be rebooted in order for the update to take effect. Please follow the installation instructions provided with each update.
- Reconnect the peripheral devices to your computer.
- If applicable, reconnect to your network.
The Windows Vista Clean Install process is now complete.
Note: If the Memory Stick icon does not display properly in My Computer or in Windows Explorer, visit the Driver/Software support web page for your VAIO computer model, and download and install the update package for Memory Card Reader/Writers.