Can I install Windows® 7 on this model?
If your computer meets the system requirements to run the Windows® 7 operating system, your model should be able to install and run Windows® 7.
The Microsoft® Windows® 7 Upgrade Advisor says that my computer is compatible. What do I need to do now?
To determine this, please use the Microsoft® Windows® 7 Upgrade Advisor. This program scans your computer for potential compatibility issues and will let you know if there are Windows® 7 upgrade options for the computer.
Don't I need drivers from Sony for Microsoft® Windows® 7?
- First, read the information provided by Microsoft about upgrading from upgrading from Windows Vista® to Windows 7 or upgrading from Windows® XP to Windows 7 (whichever applies for your computer) to learn about the upgrade process.
- Purchase a retail copy of the version of Windows® 7 that the Microsoft® Windows® 7 Upgrade Advisor tool recommends for you.
- Backup important files to external media such as a CD or DVD, to an external hard drive or a network storage device.
- Install the operating system following Microsoft's instructions.
- Use the Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer tool to migrate settings and files from another computer if desired.
Not necessarily. Basic system functionality should be automatically enabled with the drivers included within the Windows® 7 operating system.
However, if one of the drivers that came with the operating system does not work with your system, you can try installing the Windows Vista® version of the driver provided by Sony for your model. Many of the Windows Vista® drivers are compatible with Windows® 7 based on current testing. Make sure you choose the bit version (32-bit or 64-bit) that matches your version of Windows® 7.
Sony software applications that originally shipped with the computer may not work after upgrade.
WARNING: If the Microsoft® Windows® 7 Upgrade Advisor states that your computer is NOT COMPATIBLE, it is strongly recommended that you DO NOT install the Windows® 7® operating system.