Netflix® is an online subscription service that charges a flat rate monthly fee for rental-by-mail and online streaming of movies and TV episodes. Learn more about it.
What do I need to use Netflix?
You will need these items:
- A Netflix Ready Device (NRD) that can connect to the Internet, such as one of these:
- Blu-ray Disc™ Player
- Television - LCD/LED HDTV or Internet TV
- Internet Player with Google TV™
- Media Player
- BRAVIA® Internet Video Link
Note: These devices are sometimes referred to as Bravia Internet Video (BIV) devices.
- A computer or tablet and an active Internet connection
2.5 Mbps or higher recommended - test connection speed.
- A Sony Essentials account and a Netflix account. You can get both of these accounts during the setup process if you do not already have them.
How do I setup Netflix?
You need to complete these steps:
- Read the article for or watch the video for:
- Television or BRAVIA® Link devices.
- Blu-ray Disc players.
- Internet TVs & Players with Google TV™
- Network Media Players with Wi-Fi®
- Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Home Theater Systems
- BDP-BX38, BDP-S280, BDP-S380, BDP-S480
- BDP-S370, BDP-S470
- BDP-BX39, BDP-BX59, BDP-S390, BDP-S590, BDP-S790
- BDP-S570, BDP-S770, BDP-S1700ES
- BDP-BX58, BDP-S580, BDP-S780
- BDV-E280, BDV-E880
- BDV-E370, BDV-E570, BDV-E770W, BDV-F7, BDV-HZ970W, BDV-T57
- BDV-E580, BDV-E780W, BDV-E980W, BDV-T58
- BDV-E385, BDV-E390, BDV-N790W, BDV-N890W/Z, BDV-T79
- Other Blu-ray models
- Troubleshooting articles:
- Read the article (for all products)
- Using your device remote control, navigate to the Network section of the Xross Media Bar menu (XMB™) menu on your device to get your Essentials Registration Code.
- Using the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
- Using the left or right arrow, select Network .
- Using the up arrow or down arrow, select Activate Enhanced Features or Internet Video.
Note: On some models, Activate Enhanced Features (register your device) only appears after you go through the Internet Video setup.
- At the End User License Agreement, click Agree & Next.
- Click Close.
- Using the left or right arrow, go back to Network.
- Using the up arrow or down arrow, select Activate Enhanced Features (Register your Device).
- Press the Select button to begin the activation.
- Once the activation is complete, the Registration Code will appear.
- Write down the Registration Code.
- Using your computer, register your Sony device at the Essentials web site.
- Using your computer, go to https://internet.sony.tv/customer
- Login to the Essentials site:
If you already have an Essentials or Sony Store account
- Enter your email address and password and click the arrow to proceed.
- Go to Manage Products.
- Select Register a product.
- Enter your Essentials Product Registration code, and click VALIDATE.
You must either already have or create a Netflix account (free trial offer) and, depending on the model, may also need to register your device to your Netflix account.
- Using the your device remote control, press the HOME button.
- Using the left or right arrow , select Video .
- Using the up arrow or down arrow, select the Netflix channel .
- Press the Select button .
- If prompted, select a Netflix experience option.
- The next steps vary by model, so please pay close attention to the options on your screen.
- At the prompt, select Member sign in if you are already a Netflix member or Start Your Free Trial, if you are not.
- Fill out the form as needed to login.
- At the prompt, select Yes if you are already a Netflix member or No if you are not.
Note: If not yet a member, you will also need to select Yes at the Ready to Get Started prompt.
- Write down the Netflix registration code that appears.
- Using your computer, open a web browser and go to www.netflix.com/Sony.
- If you already have a Netflix membership, click Member Sign In, and then login. Otherwise, click Free Trial.
- To start a free trial, enter your email address, a password, and click Continue.
- Fill out the form, and click Start Membership.
- At the top-right of the screen, click Your Account.
- Under Your Streaming Plan, click Activate a Device.
- Enter your Netflix registration code and click the Activate button.
- You can now select a movie and click Play to watch it now or add it to your Instant Queue for later viewing.
After setup you can watch Netflix movies and TV programs on your device by using the remote control to go to the Netflix channel. For most titles, the video will remain in your Instant Queue until it expires or you remove it. You can remove videos from your Instant Queue via your device menu or the Netflix web site using your PC.
Netflix FAQ & Troubleshooting
- Account & Devices
- How Netflix works and account information.
- Is there a limit to how many TV or movie titles can be watched?
- Fast-forward or rewind Netflix® streaming content.
- Is streaming content downloaded?
- What is required to stream 3D video from the Netflix service?
- How to sign out all devices that are linked to a Netflix account.
- How to change Netflix accounts being used with the Internet video device.
- Connecting to Netflix
- Watching Netflix Videos
- Fast-forward or rewind Netflix® streaming content.
- Internet streaming videos stop, pause, buffer, or the picture and sound quality is poor.
- Streaming NetFlix® video displays in low resolution.
- Audio and video are out of sync.
- Error: We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title.
- Error: This device is not enabled to play protected content.
- No subtitles or captions are available when watching Netflix streaming video.